Friday, April 22, 2011

Leafs down Hawks in thriller

LEWIS CENTER, OH - The Arrowhawks battled hard but lost their game tonight 2-1 to a talented Maple Leafs squad. It ends a tumultuous session for the Hawks, one they haven't seen in quite some time.

"Our hats are off to the Leafs," said defenseman Mike Gauthier after the game. "That #93 is a talented player, probably one of if not the best goal scorer in the league." he added as he walked away in disgust.

The game was in doubt until the very end, with both teams having quality scoring chances. Oleg Chetverikov notched the lone Arrowhawk goal with a great individual effort in front.

"Kevin found me in front, or there was a deflection and I just did what I used to do back in the Ukraine, potted it like a shot of Stoly," admitted the one they call Epic Win. "Unfortunately it wasn't enough and we'll have to wait until next session to settle the score."

Kevin Griffith filled in nicely for Nate Mensel who was home bottling pickles for the upcoming winter. "I like Tommy's basement even though his pool table is too close to the wall," said Griffith during postgame. "I don't like the cue ball bouncing off the table and into other people. It reminds me of high school when I wounded a man."

Nick Lanctot and Mac Lawless manned the blueline for the Hawks with Terry Walker and Gooch. They were physical and moved the puck to the forwards in brilliant fashion. Lawless was released from custody to once again join the Hawks. He didn't miss a beat after being out of action for the last 5 games. "I like Mexico," said Lawless curiously.

"I should have burried my chances," said the really tall Lawless. "I won't sleep tonight so I am going to toilet paper my neighbor."

Arrowhawk captain Mark Monahan skated on the second line tonight with usual winger Tom Morgan.

"We thought the matchups were better with our skating with the twos," said Monahan. "We had some chances but the Leafs defenders clogged the zone in tight and kept us away from the net. I think I'll go home and think about my next marathon," he added. Monahan likes to run when he's not tearing up the Friday night league.

Barry Snow skated on the top line and played well with Griffith and Epic Win. Chris Carpenter filled in for normal RW Jason Torsok who was home ill, nursing a swollen groin muscle from an aggressive golf swing. "Its got to be the white pants," said Torsok from his swanky Tartan Fields home. "I'll admit when I have the Denmark attire on, I go for it." he said via telephone after hearing of the Hawk loss. "I wish I were there with my mates, but wouldn't have been 100 percent."

League commissioner Martin Spanhel was in attendance. Efforts to get a quote were unsuccessful. If interviewed, we're sure he'd have said, "The Hawks look great out there but they could really use my skill. Or at least Firenuts out there."

The Leafs have enough skill to win it all this session. They'll have to get past the Eskimos and Big Pucks though, a tall order. Stay tuned to the site as we'll cover the action to the session champions.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say I was disappointed to see that you guys lost to the Make-me-laughs. We were really looking forward to knocking your guys out of the playoffs

    Nanook of the North.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freakin' Eskimos. We'll be back in the summer with some able bodies ready to cool you guys off. Good luck in the playoffs. You've got your work cut out for you after an impressive regular session!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nanook...

    Not a chance you beat the Whalers, let alone the Leafs. Go back to Mystery and skate the river why-dont-cha!

    Toronto Native Stuck in CBUS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Pucks will take it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whalers are done, next up Make me laughs

    Nanook of the North.

    ReplyDelete