Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hawks alive and well

Five freakin' months. That's the last time I've posted anything to the blog. Well shit, I suck.

One of my favorite players on the club was busting my balls recently about posting something. Said he has family who reads the blog. Makes sense. Hockey gets in your blood.

I never played hockey growing up. Wanted to, but central Ohio at the time had limited opportunities and my parents had no clue how to sign me up. I recall playing stick hockey on a rubber gym floor, thinking I had skill. Orange plastic stick blades (not like the crap foam shit the kids play with now) and an orange puck. I was amazing -- took a high stick but kept playing, zigging, zagging and scoring. The girls were impressed. I remember receiving some of those white folded notes because I was so impressive.

My hockey excellence ends there, however.

17 years into the Arrowhawk's existence, it's guys like Tom Morgan, Mark Monahan, Mac Lawless, Jason Jensen, Mike Gauthier, Billy 'Soft Spot' Miller, Nick 'Minnesota' Lanctot, Rick Tyler, Steve Mikes, Jim Kuhn and the Griffith brothers who've carried the torch and demonstrated the way hockey should be played. We've had our fair share of penalties. There are some teams who've nicknamed us the 'Arrowhacks' but I can't figure out why. It must be the refs failure to blow the whistle on the other team, then shit gets outta hand. The official complaint is in the system...

So what's transpired in the last 5 months? Quite a bit. My family, though awesome, has monopolized my time, leading me to suck at posting. Many faces on the Hawks have changed, but the tradition of hacking, scoring and post-game excellence continues. We're mid-pack in the standings with one game remaining in the winter session. We've played hard against the league's best teams and sucked at times, as well.

Stay tuned and I'll catch you up.

As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment